Cinco de Mayo, or “The Fifth of May,” marks the Mexican Army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla. Though it’s not as big of a deal in Mexico as their Independence Day (which it’s commonly confused as), it’s still celebrated with family get-togethers, dancing, fireworks, and lots of tasty food and drinks. Even if you’re not in Mexico for this celebration, you can still break out your oversized sombrero (we know you have one) and find a city around the U.S. showing their love for this Mexican holiday (and cuisine)!
Festivals around the US this Cinco de Mayo weekend & beyond:
- ‘Mex Fest’, Cinco de Mayo Food Truck Celebration, NYC, New York
- 2nd Annual Madison Craft Beer Week Madison, Wisconsin
- 25th Annual Cinco de Mayo Festival Denver, Colorado
- Señor Frogs Grand Opening at Treasure Island Las Vegas, Nevada
- El Centro 1st Birthday and Celebration Washington, D.C.
- Fiesta Old Town Cinco de Mayo 2012 San Diego, California
Some great establishments to visit this weekend in New York & Austin:
Hungry for more? Here are some delicious recipes to try out if you’re celebrating at home!
Whatever, whenever, and wherever you decide to fiesta this weekend, share your Mexican fair with us on Forkly!